I love this deliciously creamy jalapeño salsa! It goes with just about everything from beef, chicken, and even vegetables. It is spicy and smooth, and the best thing about it? The creamy texture is achieved without adding any cream or avocado!
Summertime is just around the corner! And I don’t know about you, but we have weekend barbeques and get-togethers planned for the foreseeable future.
This means that I am going to be making lots of salsas!
No cream, creamy jalapeño salsa is one of my go-tos because:
- It is fast to make
- It has a nice kick but isn’t overly spicy
- The creamy texture is achieved without any dairy, so you don’t have to worry about spoilage if this is left out on your buffet table
- No avocado means that this salsa won’t turn an unappetizing brown color if not eaten fresh
- It is made with simple, readily available ingredients
How to make creamy jalapeño salsa (without cream)
Remember that I told you that this salsa was fast and simple? You can have this salsa ready to go in about 10 minutes and with only 5 ingredients total.
Let me show you how…
Fry the ingredients
First, start by heating about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the garlic, jalapeños, and onion.
You will want to gently fry these ingredients until the garlic just begins to turn golden. The onion should be transparent and just beginning to change color. The jalapeño skins should start to blister and lighten in color.
The key here is to avoid browning any of the ingredients. I have included the below picture so that you can see what I mean.
You will likely need to pull the garlic out of the pan first, followed by the other ingredients.
Blend everything together
Once your ingredients are out of the pan and into the blender, all you have to do is blend until smooth!
To give this salsa a creamy texture, use vegetable oil.
I like to add any oil left from the pan into the blender. I then add another 1/4 cup to blend everything together. Stream additional oil into your blender as needed to achieve a smooth consistency.
I ended up adding 2 extra tablespoons of oil to get the consistency that I liked best.
Add salt to taste, blend thoroughly, and enjoy!
Looking for other salsa recipes?
No Cream, Creamy Jalapeño Salsa
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil divided, + more for achieving desired consistency if needed I used a 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons total
- 8 jalapeño peppers ~320g or 11 ounces
- 1/2 medium white onion, cut into large chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet, about 2-3 minutes
- Add jalapeños, garlic, and onion to skillet
- Fry vegetables until they just start to change color, about 5 minutes for jalapeños and onions, slightly less for the garlic, turning as necessary. The garlic should be just starting to turn golden, the onions should be transparent and the jalapeño skins slightly blistered and lighter in color. Do not allow the vegetables to brown!
- Pull vegetables from oil, remove stems and place into blender once they reach the appropriate level of doneness
- Add any remaining oil from pan to blender and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Blend on high until completely liquid and smooth.
- Stream the additional oil into the blender to create a smooth consistency. I needed 2 more tablespoons oil to get the consistency that I wanted.
- Add salt to taste